First of all, I prepare the night before. By preparing ahead, I can run on autopilot in the morning, and I am less likely to wake up the sleeping children because I am quieter.
Before I put the kids to bed, I set out the breakfast dishes, put my clothes and towels in the bathroom, and put my planner on the table. Easy enough, and it doesn't seem like much, but it makes the morning go that much more smoothly.
My Magical Morning Routine
- Crawl out of bed before the kids wake up. Waking up before the kids is a big deal! If you suggested I get up before the kids a couple of months ago, I would have laughed in your face and insisted that I was not a morning person. But waking up before the kids gives me much needed quiet time to prepare myself for the day before the chaos of two small tornadoes enters my life.
- Shower, brush teeth, make up. A shower sets me straight in the morning. Maybe it’s the splash of water on my face or that nice clean feeling, but whatever magic it works, a shower wakes me up and gets my motor running.
- Make breakfast, coffee, glass of water. It feels like a luxury to eat without small children spilling milk on the floor or asking for more juice. I try to drink a glass of water before coffee to hydrate and help give me more energy. It helps… when I do it.
- Review my planner while I eat. My planner is a whole other story. Let’s just say I love it. I review the list, add tasks, and then pick a prep step. This is a small task I do before the kids get up that will make the rest of the day goes smoother. It is a task that takes less than five minutes, but gets the day started on a productive note.
- Write. I try to write every morning. Sometimes the kids wake up early, and I don’t get to write. The goal is 15 minutes of morning page style writing, but I work on the blog if it is going to be a busy day. On good days, I get to work on both!
- Do the prep step. Execute the step I picked out earlier and get the day rolling!
- Wake up the kids! And let the fun begin!
That is how my morning goes on the good mornings. Most mornings my new routine is manageable. It’s not like I put exercise in there anywhere. The only glitch happens when the kids wake up super early. Sometimes Drake will wake up before my alarm goes off! Imagine my despair! I can usually still get all the same stuff done, but it isn’t as energizing for me as when I get to spend my morning alone and in silence.
I never thought changing my morning routine would help invigorate my day, but it has and I am happy for it!